Wednesday 25 July 2007

Day 19 - Rasmussen, Out!

Wednesday 25 July 2007

I’ve got to stop writing so late at night. I just went back and looked at my entry from last night, and it was completely incoherent. I won’t even quote it, because it won’t even make any sense. Rest assured, it’s been changed.

Interesting setup today, as we’re not actually at the finish line; which is 6K up the road. I didn’t even realize that, until I asked Adrian if he was going to go film the finish on his Super 8. “Hell no, that’s 6K up the mountain!”

Good God it’s all gone to hell. On the long ride back into France from the mountains, I got the call from Alanna from CBS. I actually got 3 calls from her; the third of which bore the news. Because she’s obsessed. With either me or the hype, I’m not sure yet.

Michael Rasmussen, the race’s leader, was just fired by his team; because it was discovered he had lied (bent the truth) about his whereabouts during training and scheduled drug testing. To make a long story short, it’s very political, and he’s been dismissed on merely assumption and association. So of course the newspaper press is going crazy, and everyone is generating their own opinions and stories. It’s a crushing blow to the ASO and Tour organizers, but the show still goes on. At least I think it will go on…we’ll see what happens tomorrow!

On unrelated note, we’re staying in a very nice hotel tonight, in Castelsarrasin. It is very modern. Dave was so very, very bitter after arriving, especially because it was such a long drive, and because the hotel was not very understanding of his southern Texas drawl.

No comments: