Friday 27 July 2007

Day 21 - Cognac (the drink)

Friday 27 July 2007
Not having to travel far after a stage is always nice; but hardly having to travel anywhere is even better.

We got a little taste of what the Tour is like for those who don’t have to go from finish line to finish line everyday, but instead can relax knowing they won’t be traveling far. Actually, it’s the start line crew that’s screwed on this stage, because with the finish line being the same place tomorrow, they’re the ones who have to travel; if you follow. We switched on the restaurant locator on Miss Meredith, and she led us into the middle of the town of Angoulême. Naturally, we sat outside in a crowded patio-type setting and enjoyed some good food.

Après le diner, we traveled back to the chateau; where I unfortunately found myself on a conference call about college football graphics. Yeah, we’re starting early. They want it to be perfect. I tried my hardest not to be anti-social, as I threw my line on mute and walked downstairs to snap photographs of the place. I ran into the owner of the place (I really shouldn’t say “ran into”, since this is where he lives.) outside, where he was awaiting our return from the day. With 6 glasses of cognac; which I believe was Remy Martin. I said, “pour nous?” To which he replied, “oh yes”. His English was rather good, as his wife has family in Florida which they visit often. He also noticed my camera in hand and warned me about taking pictures inside the house, because the massive paintings in the house are probably worth a lot; something he doesn’t need ruined. I obliged, and walked along the grounds to snap some night photos. All this while holding the phone to my ear. I nearly drained my battery; a first for my phone.

90 minutes later, I put the phone down and rightfully enjoyed the cognac.

No comments: