Wednesday 4 July 2007

Day i - Prestart

Wednesday 4 July 2007


It’s hard to find a starting point for this day, considering it really started at 7:00AM ET the previous day (if you follow). I got MAYBE an hour of sleep on my flight that evening; which would have been more except for the fact that when I wanted to sleep, it got a little bumpy. And then it started to get light out. But I’d never flown on a 777 before; it had space to breath, which was nice.

I’d forgotten the name of the hotel I was staying at, and while trying to explain what I had thought to be close to the name to a couple of people at concierge desks in the airport, they hadn’t a clue. “It’s something like Hysteria London, on 2 Bridge Street!” was really Hesperia London Victoria on 2 Bridge Place. I wasn’t so far off…

Taxi ride was 60 pounds. ***By the way, why is London not officially on the Euro?*** Later realized a train would’ve been 8 pounds. But I had a lot of luggage I didn’t want to take on the train. I was greeted curbside by Maria, and was made to sit and wait since my room took forever to get ready. Opportunity #1 to sleep: foiled.

Skip the boring though, and get to the good stuff. Once we all got our act together, Matt and I departed from lunch at St. George’s Tavern back to our hotel to meet our chauffeur. Chauffeur you ask? Yes, we were picked up by Phil Liggett’s friend’s car service and driven up to Wildhill, England, in the countryside. For what you ask? To meet (and shoot) Phil at his favorite pub, the Woodman, which housed some of the best beers in the world. (Opportunity #2 to sleep: foiled. Driver kept talking! But he did take us past Abbey Road Studios, which was very cool, if just to see the crosswalk.) Graham, the barkeep gave us a tour of the little back-country tavern while serving up some of the finest ales not too many people have heard of. Phil later joined, shot some darts and had some drinks. I only recall the “Belgian Black”, a lighter, smoother, drier Guinness.
We caught a ride back to the hotel (Opportunity #3 to sleep: foiled. Matt kept talking!), where 13 of us promptly set off for what will probably be the largest group dinner this entire Tour. We tube’d it to ChinaTown, had a huge meal, tube’d it back (Opportunity #4 to sleep: foiled. Caught out by Joel!!), and FINALLY WENT TO BED.

No comments: