Monday 16 July 2007

Day 10 - Rest Day 1 of 2

Monday 16 July 2007

What an incredible first week of racing. Nothing really exciting going on in this race; two hard days of climbing haven’t proven anything, just that no one can work together to try to get ahead. Whatever, I’m just happy for the day off, which I will use to catch up on sleep and laugh at everyone back home who has to cut the rest day show.

The weather was much nicer this year than last for golf; so it was much more pleasant to play. We just had to go play at a course that was over an hour and a half away from where we were staying, none of the closer ones would do. So we were late to begin with. We played so slow we had to call our game after 12 holes. And not because it was getting dark, but because we had a dinner to make it back to. I played decent, especially for rental clubs, but I tweaked my wrist a little bit at the turn, so I wasn’t playing at 100%.

Now this was a typical French dinner. Frogs legs, foie gras…yes I had them both. And they were not bad. The entrĂ©e? Duck. With honey lavender. They’d never heard of mango salsa. And it took 2+ hours to arrive. Typical French dinner. With lots of people.

So did I rest on the rest day? No. I felt more tired than ever before. As Dave “Le Grand” Hagen put it, “I need a rest day from the rest day.” Agreed.

No comments: